- 1 help improve this page
- 2 Reporting Bugs
- 3 Formats
- 4 Applications / Plugins / Services / Tools
- 4.1 .Mac Webmail
- 4.2 AlchemyPoint
- 4.3 Backnetwork
- 4.4 Blinksale
- 4.5 BlogMatrix
- 4.6 Blogmarks.net
- 4.7 Bugzilla
- 4.8 cmSiteNavigation
- 4.9 Community Server
- 4.10 Conferenceer
- 4.11 Citycita
- 4.12 Cork'd
- 4.13 Delicious Generation
- 4.14 Digg
- 4.15 Dreamweaver
- 4.16 Drupal
- 4.17 Eventful
- 4.18 Facebook
- 4.19 Ficlets
- 4.20 Firefox
- 4.21 Flickr People
- 4.22 Flickr Photos
- 4.23 Flock Web Browser
- 4.24 Google Chrome
- 4.25 Google Search
- 4.26 Google Blogger
- 4.27 Google Creative Commons Search
- 4.28 Google Maps
- 4.29 Gravatar Commenters as hCards
- 4.30 Greasemonkey
- 4.31 hCalendar creator
- 4.32 hCard to Gmail Service
- 4.33 hCard creator
- 4.34 Helios Calendar
- 4.35 hKit Microformats Toolkit for PHP5
- 4.36 hReview creator
- 4.37 iChat buddy list to hCards
- 4.38 Internet Explorer
- 4.39 JSCalendar
- 4.40 Konqueror
- 4.41 Last.fm
- 4.42 LinkedIn
- 4.43 Live Clipboard
- 4.44 LiveJournal
- 4.45 LJFind
- 4.46 LouderVoice
- 4.47 Ma.gnolia
- 4.48 Mash Maker
- 4.49 Maxthon
- 4.50 Microformat Base
- 4.51 Microformat Bookmarklet Overlay
- 4.52 Microformat Parser for Ruby
- 4.53 Movable Type
- 4.54 MyMap.yam.com
- 4.55 National eXtension Initiative
- 4.56 Nature Network Boston
- 4.57 Nature Protocols
- 4.58 NetNewsWire
- 4.59 Netscape Navigator
- 4.60 Nutch
- 4.61 ODEO
- 4.62 Open-Xchange
- 4.63 Optimus
- 4.64 phpMicroformats
- 4.65 Portable Social Network Profile Parser
- 4.66 PostNuke
- 4.67 Pownce
- 4.68 Profiler
- 4.69 Realcom HAKONE for Notes
- 4.70 Realcom KnowledgeMarket
- 4.71 RFC2629.xslt
- 4.72 Salesforce
- 4.73 Sivitools
- 4.74 Safari Microformats plugin
- 4.75 SPRACI
- 4.76 stuckUnstuck
- 4.77 StatusNet
- 4.78 Swignition
- 4.79 Technorati Search
- 4.80 Technorati Tags
- 4.81 Textpattern
- 4.82 Tomota
- 4.83 Transformr
- 4.84 TYPO3
- 4.85 Tweeterboard
- 4.86 ufXtract
- 4.87 Upcoming.org
- 4.88 vCardExplorer
- 4.89 VIREL Microformats Search Engine
- 4.90 WindowsLiveWriter
- 4.91 WordPress
- 4.92 X2V
- 4.93 XWiki
- 4.94 xfn-spider
- 4.95 Yahoo Creative Commons Search
- 4.96 Yahoo Local
- 4.97 Yahoo Tech
- 4.98 Yahoo UK Movies
- 4.99 Yalwa - Local directory
- 4.100 Yedda
- 5 Validators
- 6 Search engines
- 7 Companies / Developers / Organizations
- 8 Publishers and Content Hosting Services
- 9 Other
- 10 Old
This page lists the applications, plugins, sample code, services, tools that produce or consume microformats.
help improve this page
This is only a partial list. If you know other services or tools for or supporting microformats, please add them to this page, link to their implementors, and list what specific microformats they support.
When you find an implementation:
- Make sure that it is an implementation, rather an publishing example (e.g. hCard examples in the wild, hCalendar examples, et.c).
- Note the name of the tool or service and the name of the developer(s) who built it.
- Add a third level heading with the name of the tool/service to the Applications / Plugins / Services / Tools section below, sorted alphabetically by name of tool/service. e.g.
=== Name of Tool ===
- Add a top level list item just below the heading with an external link to the tool/service, along with a link to evidence of their support for microformats, and mention (and locally link) each microformat that is supported. E.g.
* Link to tool/service, link to their blog post announcing support for e.g. [[hCard]] and [[hReview]]
- Add a nested list item and local to wiki hyperlink the Name of Developer to a fragment identifier in the implementors page, e.g. Apple Computer would be linked like this:
** by [[implementors#Apple_Computer|Apple Computer]]
- Check to see if there is an entry for the developer in the list of implementors, if not add them there. Add a link to the developer's home page followed by "has implemented microformats in:".
- In the entry for the developer, add a list item and local to wiki hyperlink the Name of Tool to a fragment identifier in this page, e.g. X2V would be linked like this:
- Save the page and make sure that each fragment ID local hyperlink when clicked scrolls you to the right spot (for the developer, and for the tool). Make any fix-up edits as necessary. That's it!
If there are implementation details worth noting, add them them as nested list items under the item for the implementation itself. If the details subsection grows too big for a specific implementation, feel free to move the details to their own page and leave a link in place on the implementations page.
Similar to implementation details, in short, put-it-on-the-wiki. In particular, add bug reports, with URL(s) to a valid demonstrative test case(s) of course, to the listing of an implementation on this page, OR on the specific implementations wiki page (e.g. hcard-implementations). Please describe why you think it is a bug (user interface, cosmetic, violates a spec page, e.g. for problems parsing hCards, reference which part of hcard-parsing the implementation appears to not be following).
If you have a sense of urgency for getting that particular bug fixed in that implementation, you may email microformats-dev with the URL of that implementation on the wiki page, and *summarize* the bug (the full description being on the wiki page instead).
Most microformat specifications have an "implementations" section, e.g.:
In addition, some microformat specifications have separate implementation pages:
Applications / Plugins / Services / Tools
This is an alphabetical listing of all applications, plugins (grouped with their app/tool), services and tools that implement microformats, along with the list of microformats that are supported, and the company and/or developers responsible for it.
As a user, the implementations listed below will automatically help you use microformats and help your data portability and interoperability with other apps and services.
Please help complete this list! If you know of additional apps/plugins/services/tools that support microformats, please add them!
- AlchemyPoint is a structured web / mashup platform that supports parsing hCard, rel-tag and other microformats.
- by Orchestr8
- Backnetwork is a community networking tool for events that supports hCard, hCalendar, and XFN.
- BlogMatrix - user information marked as hCard, tag directories in xfolk/rel-tag, enclosures are marked as rel-enclosure.
- by David Janes
- cmSiteNavigation extension for Firefox make use of links marked with a "rel" value, and parses additional link types also.
- Community Server supports tagging posts with rel-tag, implements rel-nofollow on links in comments, and allows users to create link lists using XFN.
- Built for SXSW 2007, Conferenceer supports hcalendar and hcard.
- Cork'd supports hCard for user profiles, hReview for wine reviews, along with rel-tag for tagging wines as announced in Pairing Wine and Microformats
- Delicious Generation supports hCal for the event and hCard for sponsors and people.
- Digg supports hCards for profiles and rel-me for identity consolidation (though they currently mix rel-nofollow with rel-me, negating these links).
- Dreamweaver Microformats Extensions (download) support authoring hCard, hCalendar, XFN, rel-tag, rel-license as announced by Drew
Upcoming module for Drupal
- Facebook supports hCard for some public profiles (example needed).
- There is also an hCard application (a plug-in) for Facebook users.
- Note also the microformats group, which Facebook users who support microformats can join.
- Ficlets supports hcard for author data and hatom for stories and lists of stories.
- Flickr's geo tagged photos are marked up with the geo microformat. Unfortunately, as of August 2010, their new page design does not expose the microformat in a machine readable manner.
Flock Web Browser
- Consumes microformats via rich snippets: wiki page, rich snippets docs
- supports rel-nofollow
- by Google
Google Creative Commons Search
- Google Maps supports hCard (see 2007-06-31 announcement by Google)
- Google maps also allows reviewers and map creators to attach a public profile, which includes hCard and rel="me' XFN markup. See 2007-10-17 announcement. Sample profile: Kevin Marks.
Gravatar Commenters as hCards
- Andy Hume added code to his blogging software to automatically mark-up the names and URLs of commenters on his blog with hCard.
- by Andy Hume
- Andy - any chance of open sourcing your code to turn Gravatars into hCards?
- Google hCalendar - Adds hCalendar data to Google Calendar and/or Hosted Exchange
- Social xFolk - Adds xFolk links to social bookmarking sites del.icio.us and ma.gnolia.
- Monkeyformats - a collection of GreaseMonkey scripts that add actual hCard and hCalendar microformat markup to several international phone directories.
- by Ryan King
hCard to Gmail Service
- hCard to gmail is a bookmarklet / service which will convert hCard formatted data to the .CSV file for importing to gmail.
- by Jamie Knight
- The open source hCard creator (originally published by Tantek) is a very simple, yet illustrative, open source user interface / form / script which creates an hCard in real-time as you type in a set of contact information.
- by Tantek Çelik
- Helios Calendar is a commercial PHP script for event publishing that supports hCalendar and hCard.
hKit Microformats Toolkit for PHP5
- by Ryan King
iChat buddy list to hCards
- iChat buddy list to hCards - open source AppleScript to automatically convert one's buddy list in the MacOSX iChat AIM client into a valid XHTML 1.0 Strict list of hCards.
- by Tantek Çelik
- LinkedIn - LinkedIn includes hCard and XFN on contacts, hResume for public profiles and hReview on service provider recommendations
- Publishes and aggregates hreview content - The LouderVoice site provides a variety of tools to publish hreview to blogs and it also aggregates hreview content from any registered RSS Feed so that users can search/rate/collect distributed reviews.
- Ma.gnolia has wide support for a variety of microformats including rel-tag, xfolk, hreview, xfn and hcard.
Maxthon is a browser for Microsoft Windows that uses the Trident rendering engine and provides additional user interface. Maxthon has built and published a plugin for their browser that recognizes microformats in web pages and allows users to take action with them, similar to Operator for Firefox.
- Microformats Button Version 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1
- Description: "Microformats Button extracts Microformats from websites and allows you to export the data to vCard, vCalendar, Google Maps, Yahoo Maps and other sites."
Microformat Bookmarklet Overlay
- Microformats Bookmarklet for Safari, Firefox and Camino, supports hCard and hCalendar and allows the user to import individual microformats on the fly.
- by Remy Sharp
Microformat Parser for Ruby
- Movable Type (MT) open source blogging software supports:
See also movable-type.
National eXtension Initiative
- eXtension Home - content marked-up with hAtom and events marked-up as hCalendar entries.
Nature Network Boston
- Nature Network Boston, a social networking community for scientists, supports rel-tag, hCard for user profiles and hCalendar for marking up events across the site.
- Nature Protocols, a forum for scientists to upload and comment on protocols, supports hCard and XOXO.
- NetNewsWire is an easy-to-use RSS and Atom reader for your Mac. NetNewsWire 3.0 detects, extracts and converts hcard and hcalendar data from feed entries.
- by NewsGator
- The Open-Xchange collaboration appliance supports publishing and subscribing of contacts in hCard format (in addition to exporting vcard) officially since v6.16. The format is extended by additional fields (like "date of marriage") in the OXMF microformat.
- Optimus. Output formats: XML, JSON, JSON-P.
- phpMicroformats is a PHP class library that generates microformat entries for hCalendar and hCard. It is released under GPL.
Portable Social Network Profile Parser
- Portable Social Network Profile Parser implements parsing of hCard, XFN, and in particular rel-me for identity-consolidation for social-network-portability.
PostNuke is an Application Framework/Content Management Systeme
- hCards4Pagesetter - hCards Publication Type for the PostNuke module "Pagesetter"
- hCalendar4Pagesetter - hCalendar Publication Type for the PostNuke module "Pagesetter"
- hReview4Pagesetter - hReview Publication Type for the PostNuke module "Pagesetter"
- Blogroll - XFN Block/Modul
- nofollow - nofollow Hook
- Optimus. Output formats: XML, JSON, JSON-P.
- Profiler works as a proxy service adding microformat profiles to documents that appear to contain microformats.
Realcom HAKONE for Notes
- rfc2629.xslt now attempts to generate hCard information (RFC2629 in an XML format for authoring RFCs and Internet Drafts, see example document)
Sivitols is a Java library for microformats. Currently only the xFolk RC1 standard is implemented, but additional microformat support is planned. This library is being written and maintained for a tag sharing project undertaken by Video Vertigo.
Safari Microformats plugin
The Safari Microformats plugin notifies you when the author of the website has published Microformats and allows you to easily import hCards and hCalendars in Address Book and iCal. This plugin was inspired by the idea and mockup of Jon Hicks.
- Note - the latest version, 3.1, currently only works w/Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard)
- StatusNet is an open source software for decentralized status updates, that supports: hAtom, hCard (including representative-hcards), adr, geo, XFN, XOXO, rel-tag, rel-license, rel-prev, rel-next, rel-bookmark, rel-enclosure rel-home, rel-me, rel-group, rel-member
- Swignition is a Perl framework and script (usable online via CGI, and downloadable for local use) that supports:
- hCard, adr, geo, jCard, XFN (1.0 and 1.1) and XEN
- rel-tag, rel-enclosure and rel-license
- several non-microformat semantic HTML techniques, including GRDDL, RDFa, eRDF and COinS.
- by Toby Inkster
- no longer actively developed, see HTML::Microformats for its replacement.
- Technorati Search supports and handles both vote-links and rel-nofollow for indicating whether a link should have any/positive/negative weighting towards the destination.
- Technorati Tags pages aggregate blog posts tagged with the rel-tag open tagging standard, in addition to recent tagged photos and links.
- Textpattern Microformats Plugin supports authoring hCard, hCalendar, hReview, XFN, rel-tag, rel-license in the Textpattern CMS/blogging tool
- Transformr Is a microformats transformation toolkit. Transformr is also available as a webservice
- ufXtract implements parsing of microformats such as hCard and XFN.
- Upcoming.org - hCalendar support in events listings and individual events.
- vCardExplorer for MacOSX - browses local vcards and converts hcards from URLs.
VIREL Microformats Search Engine
- microformats search engine - website friendly crawler. searches for public informations embedded as microformats in web pages.
- See WordPress.
- Brian Suda has created several XSLT files to extract microformats from HTML. From that the X2V webservice/favelet emerged. The XSLT and favelet extracts hCard and to produces .vcf (vCard) files and hCalendar to produce .ics (iCal) files. Also in the labs is a universal XMDP validator and a site-wide search spider that recognizes 'no-follow', 'license' and other microformats so they can be used in a more semantic way when displaying search results.
- by Brian Suda
- XWiki (as of version 10Beta5) publishes the user profiles using hCard, the events in the calendar application using hCalendar, the blog entries using hAtom and homepage links using rel-home.
- xfn-spider — simple crawler extracting microformats with XSLT (Original article in Russian circa summer 2007) and exporting information to OPML feedlist, tag cloud etc.
- See XFN visualization example at IBM's Many Eyes made using data extracted with xfn-spider
Yahoo Creative Commons Search
- Yahoo Creative Commons Search - supports rel-license specifically to search for Creative Commons licensed content.
Yahoo UK Movies
Yalwa - Local directory
Example: Yalwa Listing
- Yedda supports hCard for exposing users information, hAtom for exposing data that is already exposed via feeds (like list of questions and answers) and rel-tag for every tag used to tag questions and users.
Companies / Developers / Organizations
The following have been moved from the sections above due to problems, stated below:
Publishers and Content Hosting Services
This section is a stub. You can help the microformats wiki by expanding it.
Publishers and content hosting services are listed on the individual "examples in the wild page". You may list major publishers here along with links to their respective examples in the wild pages.
Some notes on initial thoughts around Guidelines and Strategies for Implementing Microformats
Past implementations (e.g. sites that have gone offline).
Technorati Contacts Feed Service
- 2005-2011 http://feeds.technorati.com/contacts/ Technorati Contacts Feed Service a deployment of X2V to convert hCards to vCard (.vcf) format.
Technorati Events Feed Service
- 2005-2011 http://feeds.technorati.com/events/ Technorati Events Feed Service a deployment of X2V to convert hCalendar events to iCalendar (.ics) format.